Monday, November 5, 2012

Showcase: Colleen Hoover author of Slammed and Point of Retreat


Colleen lives in Texas with her husband and their three boys. She released her debut novel, SLAMMED, in January 2012. The follow-up novel, POINT OF RETREAT, was released in February, 2012. She is currently working on a stand-alone titled FALL TOGETHER. 

If Colleen's life had a theme song, it would be Paranoia in B Flat Major by The Avett Brothers. 

Visit her blog at colleenhoover.com

Book One

September 18, 2012
Falling in love can feel like poetry. Or it can feel like a slam to the heart.
Colleen Hoover’s romantic, emotion-packed debut novel unforgettably captures all the magic and confusion of first love, as two young people forge an unlikely bond before discovering that fate has other plans for them.

Following the unexpected death of her father, eighteen-year-old Layken becomes the rock for both her mother and younger brother. She appears resilient and tenacious, but inside, she's losing hope. Then she meets her new neighbor Will, a handsome twenty-one-year-old whose mere presence leaves her flustered and whose passion for poetry slams thrills her.

Not long after a heart-stopping first date during which each recognizes something profound and familiar in the other, they are slammed to the core when a shocking discovery brings their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together and the forces that tear them apart. Only through the poetry they share are they able to speak the truth that is in their hearts and imagine a future where love is cause for celebration, not regret.



Book Two

September 18, 2012
Sometimes two people have to fall apart to realize just how much they belong together.
Colleen Hoover entranced readers everywhere with her bestselling novel Slammed, the book that introduced Layken and Will, a young couple whose love overcame devastating hardships to emerge stronger and more resilient than before. Now, as Layken and Will’s emotion-packed story continues, a stunning and unforeseen revelation about Will’s past leaves them questioning everything that they thought they knew about each other. With the foundation of their relationship at risk, they must decide whether they are willing to fight for a future together, or to retreat back into solitude and heartache.

How far does Will have to go to prove to Layken his love for her will last forever? It will require something truly extraordinary to keep this couple together, and the decisions they make and the answers they find will change not only their lives, but the lives of everyone around them.







Q.  What inspires your writing?

A. Characters.  I've had several books in the works over the past year, and the main thing that makes one work over the other is how I feel about the characters I'm writing about.  

Q.  What is your favorite thing about being an author?

A. Being able to do something I love, and it doesn't feel like work.

Q.  What is the toughest part of being an author?

A.  The fact that I love it too much.  I sometimes sit down to write and before I know it, twelve hours have passed.  When I'm in the middle of writing a book that I'm really into, I can't even sleep at night because it's all I think about.  Sometimes I love my job a little too much.  

Q.  If you could not be author, what would you do/be?

A.  Before I started writing full-time, I worked as a teacher and a Social Worker.  I wasn't very satisfied with either.  I think if I couldn't write anymore, I would do my best to stay within this industry since I love it so much.  Maybe I would become an agent, or beg Amazon for a job.  

Q.  What would the story of your life be entitled?

A.  Pure luck!

Q.  What is your favorite book of all time?

A. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

Q.  Which character from ANY book are you most like?

A.  I would have to say Olivia in The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher.  She's pretty unemotional, and so am I. I really connected with that book.  But it pissed me off, too!  :)

Q.  What character from all of your book are you most like?

A.  I'm working on one right now and the main character is a girl named Sky.  She reacts to situations much in the same way I would.

Q.  What is your favorite season?

A. Winter. 

Q.  What inspired your book cover(s)?  Or what is your favorite book cover and why?

A.  Honestly, I was broke when I self-published those books and couldn't find a cover artist, so I used Createspace's cover tools. I would have loved to have had the means to develop covers that I loved.  I'm using Okay Creations for my newest books because her work is just phenomenal.  

Q.  Tell me something funny that happened while on a book tour or while promoting your book.

A. I had a reader telling me how much she loved my books and I was her favorite author.  When she handed me her book to sign, it wasn't even my book. She thought I was Colleen Houck.  It was terribly embarrassing for her, but I thought it was hilarious.

Q.  Are you working on something new?

A. Always.  I have three different things going on right now.  I get inspired by certain characters on certain days, so I can't even begin to tell you what I'll be putting out next...because I don't know what will be completed first.

Q.  Anything you want to say to followers of this blog or those that are just stopping by?

A.  Yes.  THANK YOU!  Thank you for your love of reading...it's what allows me to do what I love to do.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...